A moon colony is a proposed establishment of human settelements in or on the moon's surface. Habitation of lunar land could potentially benefit Earth. Some examples include bountiful solar power, solving overpopulation, and elements such as Helium-3 to drive a pending fusion economy. Here, staging areas could also be constructed to launch future missions to Mars.
Assuming it feasible and the medical issues of low gravity is solved, there are many compelling reasons to found a society in and on the lunar surface in the short term, rather than other bodies of our solar system. These include:
- The Moon has low escape velocity, meaning it would cost less to ship materials from Moon to space, or rather to Earth. This importation of lunar material could pay off the large investment required for a functional, human/robot colony. In the long term, this benefits other places in need of moon material. (Furthering the income)
- With current technology, there is a miniscule, second long time lapse between Earth and the Moon communication-wise. In the case of life threatening scenarios, humans on Earth would have more time to address the problem and send evacuation craft, increasing the probability of the colonist's survival.
- Because of the lack of atmosphere, combined with extremely slow rotations, sunlight could be harvested with virtually no intereference and the poles. This also doubles to be superb for stargazers to observe astronomical objects and days at a time.
- The moon's regolith is rich in elements, both rare and common.
- Gazing at the moon serves somewhat of a psychological benefit to stargazers
In order to create a thriving civilization, one must gain the support of the general public to pay for expense for importing matter etc.
Designs and Ideas
Contrary to 1950's science fiction ideas of geodistic domes and sheild generatators to solve both radiation and atmospheric requirements are extremely