Draft topic & Subtopic Lunarpedia OUTLINE
This outline will expand as new topic areas come to mind or are suggested by contributors.
We expect that we have left out or forget whole topic areas. To suggest additional topics and subtopics contact us.
Version 1.01 October 17, 2006
* Analog Research Stations o Past, Present, Planned analog activities + Oregon Moonbase + Drumheller Badlands/Calgary Space Workers Habitat + Moon Society exercises at MDRS + MexLunaHab + NASA mockups + Seabed stations as an analog of isolation o Architecture Options o Biological support Options o Utility Options o Simulant Options o Research Priorities o other * Lunar Tourism o Tourism from orbit + Loop-the-Moon tours + Self-contained butterfly landers o Surface tourism + Early land facilities, excursion support + Early land excursions + Scenic access + Geological/scenic preserves & Lunar National Parks + Scenic cableways + Scenic roads + Scenic overlooks + Observation towers + Tourist concessions + Crew/passenger operable facilities + Historical site access + Settlement circuit + Development of diverse architectures + Development of diverse flora and fauna + Development of diverse cultures + Limb "peekaboo" locations + Farside heavens + The 7 wonders of the Moon + Suborbital tours for Lunans + other * Economic Geography: chemical, mineralogical, and topographic resources o Unfinished Robotic "Prospecting" + Elements mapped at medium resolution to date: iron, thorium, hydrogen, calcium + Need to map all major elements at higher resolution o Unfinished Robotic "Exploration" + High resolution topographic contour map from which to identify contiguous areas of easy transit and most logical corridors linking them # Prerequisite for a global map of potential highway and railway corridors # Prerequisite for delisting interesting sites to that are access challenged + Orbital mapping of subsurface voids # Local and irregular voids; possible gas pockets # Meandering linear voids: lavatubes o Surface ground truth probes + Verify, quantify, qualify. and assess expected polar ice deposits in various crater permashade areas around both poles + Explore suspected openings into lavatubes + Final exploration of sites on the short list for an outpost installation + Crater central peak sampling o Typography Assets + Using Lavatubes + Inflatables, factories, warehousing, agriculture, archiving + Using Rilles + Using Craters + Using Catennae + other * Planned Lunar Orbiters, Landers, impactors & their science goals o Chang'e I (China) + + + o Chandrayaan I (India) + + o Selene (Japan) + + o Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (US-NASA) + + o LCROSS (US-NASA) + + o Russian Impactor fleet + + * Unaddressed Prospecting and Exploration goals o Unadressed prospecting goals o Unadressed exploration goals * Predevelopment of Needed Technologies o Special R&D-focused curricula o Masters & doctoral theses topics listings in various disciplines o Spin-up entrepreneurial opportunities + Development of draft spin-up business plans o Design contests o College level engineering competitions o Cutting-edge workshops * Getting Familiar with the Moon o Lunar Maps + History of lunar mapmaking + Online Atlases + Hardcopy Atlases + Lunar Nomenclature + The persons after which craters have been named o Lunar Surface Features + List of lunar mare (sea), oceanus (ocean), lacus (lake), sinus (bay), palus (swamp) lava flooded areas + Lunar Craters # Large walled plains # Craters with central peaks # Flooded craters # Ghost craters # Ray craters # Crater chains + Lunar rilles + Lunar Mountains + Lunar domes + Other features o Understanding what you see + The origin of the Moon + The history of lunar bombardment + The great lava floods o Observing the Moon + Observing the Moon's familiar nearside + The possibility of observing much of farside via telescopes in the L4 and L5 Lagrange points + Lunar Observing Certificate Programs
* Major Challenges to Settling the Moon o Dayspan Heat - Nightspan Cold + The thermal problem as a superficial one in absence of a heat convecting atmosphere # Shading joints, lubricated areas, material interface areas # Development of cryo-lubricants # Operations management issues # Using materials with near-zero coefficient of thermal expansion # Using materials that are both heat- and cold-hardy o Dust Control Problems + Exploring electrostatic dust repulsion systems + Turtle back spacesuits & conformal airlocks* (*also minimizes airlock cycling losses of oxygen, nitrogen, water vapor) + Biodegradable suit and boot coverings + Paving or sintering vehicle and pedestrian approaches to airlocks + Covering joints and lubricated areas to minimize dust problem o Power Options dayspan + Solar concentrators + Solar panels + Circum global solar powered supermagnetic belt + Solar arrays distributing beamed power by relay sats + L4, L5, L1, L2 + Lunar polar power tower global networks + Nuclear # Waste treatment # Waste disposal # Lunar nuclear fuels industry # Scavenging nuclear wastes from Earth # A lunar nuclear fuels industry based on the thorium 232 > uranium 233 cycle o Power Options nightspan + Nuclear (see subcategories under Power Options Dayspan) + Potentiation cycles - storing potential energy # Water-oxygen fuel cells # Flywheels # Storage rings # Hydroelectric loops # Magma pools # other + Operations management # Energy intensive dayspan tasks # Energy-light nightspan tasks * Site Type Pros & Cons o Polar Sites + Pros # Both poles have "peaks of eternal sunshine" for power generation # Thermal conditions do not vary greatly through the sunth (lunar month) # Both poles are in the center of extensive coldtrap or permashade areas where we expect to find water-ice deposits + Cons # Both poles are rugged highland areas in which construction may be difficult # The sunlight always comes in at, just above, or just below the horizon creating visibility and location identification problems # The high amount of total tonnage needed to erect a solar power tower system # Expected polar ice-deposits are of unknown quantity, concentration, and difficulty of extraction # All our efforts mastering the challenges of the polar areas, will not prepare or enable us to set up outposts elsewhere on the Moon # The polar highlands do not offer all the resources needed for industrialization # Solar wind hydrogen, with which to make water, is available anywhere on the Moon o Mare-Highland Coast sites + Pros # Access to both major regolith suites # Some coastal sites are also ilmenite rich # Some coastal sites may involve potassium and phosphorus rich KREEP deposits # Some coastal sites involve subsurface lavatubes # Maria provide extensive areas of obstacle free transit # Some coastal sites are much closer to the nearest circumpolar coldtraps, than either pole itself is to the nearest coast # other + Cons # Extreme dayspan-nightspan temperature swings are a challenge to vehicle and structure design, as well as to lubricants # The need to store up enough power during dayspan to get through the lunar nightspan # Counterpoint: mastering these twin challenges will allow us to set up shop and settle anywhere on the Moon.
3. THE RETURN
* Bursting Apollo's envelope o No one has experienced a lunar dawn or lunar sunset. o No one has slept prone in a bed on the Moon o No one has taken more than a step or two on the Moon without a space suit * Getting to the Moon o Launchers o Cargo carriers o Commodity carriers + Launch tracks o Modular pod transport systems + Finished hard habitat modules + Inflatable module packs + Modular factory systems + Modular utility systems # Power generation # Air recycling # Water recycling # Waste recycling o Personnel carriers + Crew cabins + Landing craft + Ascent craft # Pressurized # Open-cockpit o Designing landing components for reuse on the Moon o Developing lunar fuels that can be used between GEO and the Moon * Earth to Moon Way Stations o LEO Depot o L1 Depot + Growing L! in step with the growth of surface operations o LLO Depot * Site Preparation o Grading o Room for future expansion o Planned warehousing o Planned expansion vectors o Planned access corridors o Location of nearest resources per type * Teleoperations o Pre-landing teleoperations + Site exploration, asset & obstacle mapping + Site preparation + Shielding emplacement + Initial roadways and paving + other o post landing teleoperations + Robotic exploration of areas of interest + Robotic preliminary prospecting + Robotic installation of self-help service stations, relays, way points, beacons + other * Outpost Modules o Adapted ISS hard modules o Ganged SpaceHab modules o New hard modules o Nautilus adaptations o Connectors o Other items o Tankage o Periscopic windows, "sundows" o sunpipe systems * Shielding Options o Direct + Raw regolith + Processed regolith less iron, volatiles, large rocks + Modular regolith: blocks, bags, baffle systems, saddlebags + Shielding styling, cladding, coloring and other ways of personalization of the exterior of a personal or corporate habitat o Shielding indirect + Modular hangar structures and interfaces, surface prep + Shielded warehousing + Expansion options o Lavatube sites * Site management issues o Respecting the topography o Natural area steadies o Road and path location issues o Warehousing systems + Sorting for reuse # By material (knock-down (KD) items) # Mixed materials + Barcoding for locatability + Shielded vs. unshielded warehousing # Canopy covered storage # Lavatube storage + Tank farms * Outpost ingress/egress o Spacesuit-docking o Vehicle docking o Vehicle to vehicle docking o Dust management systems o other * Outpost/Settlement Wastes o Human Wastes o Biomass wastes o Packaging Wastes o Processing wastes o Waysources (waste resources) o Throughput o Energy reuse/energy embodiments o other * Making Money at the Outpost o Deploying and testing proprietary ISRU equipment o Photography for movie backgrounds o Collect lunar samples for sale o Made-on-luna trinkets, coins o Crew members to pay towards their participation, after full training o other ideas
4. BREAKOUT AGENDA
* ISRU - development of local resources o Raw regolith-based materials + Sintered regolith products # Exterior paving # Shielding systems # Unpressurized structures + Cast basalt products # Furnishings # Flooring # Regolith handling components o Raw glass uses + Indoor furnishings + Artwork + Tableware o Minimally processed regolith products + Glass-glass composites # Habitat modules # Table tops # Tiles # Spaceframe spars # other + Fiberglass reinforced concrete # Habitat modules # Outside building components # other + Sintered iron fines # Sundry small low performance components # other o Production of key elements + Oxygen for air, fuel, fuel cells + Silicon for solar cells + Iron, aluminum, titanium, magnesium + Sulfur, sodium, potassium, phosphorus + Chromium + Thorium + Metal oxide colorants, + other o Processing suites/cascades e.g. ilmenite: O>Fe>Ti>Tailings o Gas scavenging - harvesting Solar Wind donations + Hydrogen + Helium(4) and He3 + Argon and Neon + Nitrogen + Carbon o KREEP Potassium, Rare Earth Elements, Phosphorus o Specially enriched regolith areas + Low titanium basalt + High titanium basalt, ilmenite + Highland material + KREEP splashout (Potassium, Rare earth Elements, Phosphorus) + Central peek mantle extrusions + other o Polar water-ice harvesting + Ground truth assessments, quantity, extent, concentration, extraction options + Coldtraps nearest to mare/highland shores + Carbon oxide ices + Other ices + Ice refinery products # Pipeline materials # Methane # Ammonia # Water # Ice * Expansion Technologies o Prioritizing outfitting products for imported inflatables o Modular architecture languages o Modular biospherics o Modules made-on-Luna of lunar materials * Expansion Priorities o New capabilities, facilities, operations, industries, recreations o Increasing biosphere diversity o Increasing crop diversity & cuisine menu options * Expansion Human Factors o Allowing tour of duty extensions o Allowing fraternization, relationships o Morale perks + More personal elbow room + Customizable quarters + Flextime scheduling + Arts & crafts using regolith-derived media + Introducing lunar holidays, special festivities + Fostering an "at home on the Moon" culture + Physical fitness, exercise, sports, dance facilities + Garden-enriched food & menu diversity + Allowing births + Finding weight-pulling functions for youth, retirees + Escape valves (import bazaar, getaways, changes of pace, job switches, travel options) o Allowing burial on the Moon
5. SETTLEMENT GROWTH
* Lunar Industry o Modular Factories from Earth o Building & Manufacturing Materials + Metal Alloys + Glass Composites + Sulfur Composites o Habitat & Connector Modules o Outfitting Products + Interior dividers + Interior surfaces + Furnishing Products o Agricultural & Horticultural Products o Arts & Crafts * Industrial Diversification Strategies o The "MUS/cle" guide to industrial priorities o Institute of Lunar-Appropriate industrial design o Prerequisites Outline o Building & Manufacturing materials o Habitat expansion modules o Interior building systems o Furniture & furnishings o Fabrics & apparel o Food Processing o Utility systems o Power generation & storage systems o Transportation components o other * Manufacturing Protocols o Recycling Needs + Assembled for ease of disassembly to enable recycling by material + Alternatives to use of bonding adhesives o Small Market Challenges + Finished goods lines + Customer-finish lines * Lunar Architecture o A modular "language" o Ease of assembly o Varied plans o Integrated modular biospherics o Special structures + Lunar hi-rises and skyscrapers + Observation towers + other * Urban Systems o City planning o Transit systems o Air-circulation systems o Drainage systems o Farm areas o Park areas o Wild areas o other * Surface transport o Frogs & Toads - converted lunar ferry crew cabins + Passenger coaches + Construction shacks + Private coaches o Railroads + Market # Passengers # Freight # Bulk + Tracks # Thermal expansion issue # Switching issue # Derailment avoidance issue # Vestibulation issue # Gauge + Motive power # Solar electric network * Polar power tower network * Maglev * Conventional # Nuclear # Fuel cell # Lunar fuels + Right of way # Real estate grants # Siding-based starter settlements # Pipelines # Roads o Roads + Construction + Route definition + Junctions + Bridges + Tunnels + Mare vs. highlands + Solar flare sheds + Self-service stations + Signage protocols + Toll roads o Cableways o High volume shielded roadways o High volume pressurized roadways o Vehicle motive power + Local power beaming nets + Solar power recharging + Fuel cells + Lunar fuels development + Lunar fueled engine development + Nuclear + Solar o Mass driver suborbital launchers & catchers o other * Cottage Industries o Custom finishing of unfinished manufactured items o Horticulture-based products o Farm products packaging o Farm products processing o Arts & crafts items from home-safe materials and media o Recycling based products o Home Services: decorating, cleaning; garden maintenance, etc. * Biosphere technologies o Water recycling systems o Air purification systems o Humidity control o Modular biospherics o Growing seasons o Climates + Temperate plants + Subtropical plants + Tropical plants + Arid zone plants o Biodiversity o Wild zone plants & flowers o Settlement wildlife o Green zones, parks, parkways o House plants o other * Agricultural technologies o The nightspan lighting challenge o Soil from regolith o Nutrient solutions from regolith o Soil enrichment o Hydroponics o Waste biomass recycling o other * Horticulture - homestead gardening o Architectural considerations + Lighting + Watering systems + Gardenscaping o Ornamentals o Food plants o Canning & preserving o Garden-based enterprises * Agricultural Products o Food products + Fruits + Vegetables + Herbs & spices + Fiber sources + Protein sources + Nutrition supplement sources + Menu variety and diversity + Supported cuisines + Food processing + Local marketing specialties + Later developments # Small livestock o Fibers o Pharmaceuticals o John Washington Carver style processing suites o Jewelry woods o other * Substitutions for organics, synthetics o Paper substitutes o Plastic substitutes o Wood substitutes o Lubricants o Adhesives o other * Lunar Service Satellite systems o Stable orbits o Ground positioning o Search & rescue o Solar weather monitors o other
6. TRADE & THE BOTTOM LINE
* Exports & Market Development o Specific markets + Low Earth Orbit industrial parks + Low Earth Orbit tourist facilities + Mars, Phobos, Deimos # made-on-Luna heavy equipment # Nuclear fuels (lunar thorium 232 > uranium 233) # Seasoned pioneers # Technology expertise + Asteroids + other o Value added product types + Products made for domestic use + Construction materials + Furnishings + Arts & crafts + Unique jewelry + Food products + New crop variety seeds + Lunar-sourced chemical fuels + Lunar-produced nuclear fuels (the thorium 232 > uranium 233 cycle), essential to the opening of Mars to settlement + other o Raw materials to be processed in space for solar power satellite construction o Technology licenses + Biospheric technologies + Agricultural technologies + Recycling technologies + Building material technologies + Poor ore mining technologies + other o Infotainment products + Travelogues + Explorations + Dance, sport, music, etc. o Other "zero-mass" products o Energy exports + Lunar fuels # Hydrogen # Oxygen # Silane # other # Lunar processed nuclear fuels (thorium 232 > uranium 233) + Lunar solar arrays + Helium-3 + Building materials for solar power satellites + other * Development of other export markets o LEO industrial parks o LEO tourist clusters o GEO satellite farm-platforms o L4, L5 Lunar Flank relays, telescopes o L1, L2 Lunar Gateways for people, cargo o Asteroid mission support o Mars, Phobos, Deimos o Other * Imports o The "MUS/cle strategy" for Import Reduction o Institute of Lunar-apropriate Industrial Design o Stowaway import strategies o Development of locally made substitutes o Going without * Developing other import market sources o Phobos, Deimos (methane, ammonia?) o Mars ("pipeline" inventory items) o Near-Earth asteroids (volatiles, lunar-deficient elements) o comets (volatiles) o other
7. HEALTHY CITIZENS
* Lunar Calendar - Moon Rhythm Scheduling o Terrestrial lunar calendars o Lunar rhythm "Moon Pulse" work calendar o Three shift systems o Sunth (lunar month)-rhythms o Lunar festivals, feasts and holidays o other * Health and Fitness in a 1/6th G environment o Compact medical facilities o Isometrics o Lunar sports indoor, middoor o Lunar surface sports & recreation o Artificial gravity muscle toning programs o Gene pool diversity o Geriatrics o Pediatrics o Mental health o other * Lunar Appropriate Arts & Crafts o Paint media o Ceramic media o Sculpture media o Art on the lunar surface o other * Lunar Appropriate Performing Arts o Musical instruments made on the Moon o A capello song o Dance: Modern, Ballet o Acrobatics o other * Astronomy from the Moon o Optical o Radio o Other o Interferometers o Special locations o other * Other Science of the Moon, from the Moon o other * Scattered/multiple sites for new settlements o Mare/highland coasts o Polar o KREEP access o Ilmenite access o Volcanic gas access o Lavatube access o Cluster settlement o Transport network o Inter site commerce o Globalization o other * Intentional communities o Political experiments o Social experiments o Religion-based o Monasteries o other
This outline will expand as new topic areas come to mind or are suggested by contributors. To suggest additional topics and subtopics contact us.