Here are a few quotes and song lyrics that will provide inspiration for space settlement.
- Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "Ulysses"
- ... my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset,
- and the baths of all the western stars, until I die.
- It may be that the gulfs will wash us down.
- It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
- and see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
- Though much is taken,
- much abides;
- and though we are not now that strength which in the old days moved earth and heaven;
- that which we are, we are; one equal-temper of heroic hearts, ...
- Winston S. Churchill, "Their Finest Hour Speech", House of Commons, May 1940
- Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science.
- Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.
This quote is the source of the description of the lunar highlands as broad, sunlit uplands in our stories. (emphases added). Tom Riley --Jriley 06:38, 7 March 2007 (PST)
- Your favorite quote reviewed here