Difference between revisions of "Talk:Home"
(→Display problems with latest versions of Chrome and Firefox)
Latest revision as of 12:49, 25 June 2018
Ideas for increasing Lunarpedia Contributors
- Ads in Moon Society publications?
- Ads in NSS Publications such as Ad-Astra Magazine?
- Ads in international space and astronomical society publications and other moon related projects?
- Giving Aerospace/NewSpace companies the opportunity to write articles about themselves? (currently underway)
- An article on Lunarpedia in Wikipedia?
- Interview with SPACE.com?
- A more eyecatching logo/banner on moon society websites?
- Better placement of the logo/banner on moon society websites?
- Other allowed Languages
- Note: Wikipedia does not allow adverstising, promos for Lunarpedia on Wikipedia will probably be "speedily deleted".Charles F. Radley 13:59, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
The logo on the Moon soc web site needs to be rotated so the text is horizontal. Right now it is easy to ignore by accident, as the text is difficult to read.
Charles F. Radley 19:50, 8 January 2007 (PST)
A GIF banner concept I came up with. Same dimensions as lunarpedia logo. Jarogers2001 21:28, 8 January 2007 (PST)
I like the bottom one, but I think you need to move the earth so it would show as a disc and perhaps a stylized crater or two on the moon would help. The basic idea is you have to be able to recognize it as a lithograph or silhouette. --MikeD 09:26, 12 March 2007 (GMT)
- I downloaded a program that was recommended to me to try and make this image and found out it crashed my system. I may be able to fall back on a picture with no animation but ill need to be pointed in the direction of an archive of high resolution moon pictures. Jarogers2001 06:47, 12 March 2007 (PDT)
I've just submitted Lunarpedia and Marspedia to the DMOZ ODP.
I recommend that you also submit them in order to increase traffic and speed up the process of our links being approved. ODP also populates these to other search engines. - Jarogers2001 10:26, 26 December 2008 (UTC)
Is it possible to integrate articles from the Artemis Databook (ex: http://www.asi.org/adb/05/04/modular-architecture.html) in to lunarpedia without licensing issues?
Jarogers2001 12:44, 10 January 2007 (PST)
- No, but we need to reference it more often. Permission te release content to the public domain (merely licencing it won't work) would need to be done on an author by author basis as that's where the copyrights reside. -- Strangelv 18:48, 10 January 2007 (PST)
The list of categories on the Special Page for Categories Special:Categories is different (much longer) than the list of Categories of interest on the Main Page Main_Page. It will be a pain to keep them in sync. I suggest we remove the list of categories from the main page, and put in a link to the Special Page instead. Charles F. Radley 05:40, 26 January 2007 (PST)
- Maybe. I don't see it as a long term solution to use maintainer tools for casual users, however. What if we created a small number of supercategories and made sure that all content articles (pure disposable list articles and other overhead need not apply) were placed in at least one of them? Part of my concern about the maintenance tools is that in presents the user with a lot of stuff that is not of direct interest to them coequal or above (by virtue of alphabetization) articles of far greater relevance to someone seeking actual content. -- Strangelv 06:47, 26 January 2007 (PST)
Is there an automated way of generating a list of only all categories which have content, and hiding the stub categories? Charles F. Radley 06:57, 26 January 2007 (PST)
Advertising is OK
This needs to be reworded, the word "advertising" is what I have an issue with. The general sense of the paragraph doesn't worry me, just that word. -- MikeD 09:18, 12 March 2007 (GMT)
- Promotion? -- Jarogers2001 06:38, 12 March 2007 (PDT)
I'd like to know what I can remove from the sidebar without causing undue hardship, it's currently a complete and utter shambles.
Items I think can be removed are:
- Category List A-Z
- Complex Search
We could move the Maintenance links to a Maintenance page.
-- Mdelaney 14:00, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
- At a minimum, we may want to have the regolith box and a link to regularly needed maintenance functions, possibly added to the navigation menu. -- Strangelv 17:41, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
- The maintenance links could be pushed into the Community portal. Charles F. Radley 21:03, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
- I don't favor leaving the maintenance links in the sidebar at all, they're visible to guest users and present a cluttered appearance. If this was Joomla I'd make them visible to sysops only, but it's not. I'm not sure if we can easily implement group permissions in the sidebar. -- Mdelaney 22:26, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
- Most of them aren't sysop specific, but things any serious contributor could stand to have easily accessible, especially ones inclined to help with the tedious tasks we've mostly been neglecting. As far as the Community Portal goes, we never really used it -- we might move all of its contents elsewhere and delete it or replace it with a redirect. -- Strangelv 01:21, 16 April 2007 (UTC)
- Ok, here's a suggestion, how about we thin the sidebar out a bit, and rename some of the links so users have some inkling what they're about.
- For example, "List of lists of needed articles" never made sense to me, Peter's Outline probably belongs further up in the Navigation menu. Are there other words we can use in place of Uncategorized or Undescribed? -- Mdelaney 02:55, 16 April 2007 (UTC)
- Feel free to think of a better name for the List of Lists, but we've gotten far more mileage out of that than Peter's outline. It would be nice for it to be no more than two easily reached clicks away, along with a lot of other things in that menu, most of which are already inconveniently accessible from the special pages menu (so if they,'re going to end up less convenient than they are from there, their continued grouping becomes less optimal -- and if the special pages menu becomes trivially reachable again, the main problem will again be finding them in the alphabetized list -- okay, maybe more clicks is still worth it for some of them) -- Strangelv 14:54, 16 April 2007 (UTC)
- Did you just argue against yourself and win? -- Mdelaney 21:14, 16 April 2007 (UTC)
I've added the banner section to the lower left side bar. I will be talking with Eric Douglas of the American Lunar Society to see if he wants a banner there since he put our link on the amlunsoc.org frontpage. I will attempt to pursue other link exchanges with groups such as FOGE and LPOD. Still gotta bug marsdrive to tie up a banner loose end on marspedia. - Jarogers2001 15:47, 4 August 2008 (UTC)
Which way to the Moon?
Hello, I'm a volunteer of the registered Google Lunar X PRIZE contestant Team FREDNET, an open source project to land a rover on the Moon. Development of our lunar mission requires a good deal of research, and I was wondering if you Lunarpedians might be interested in lending us a hand, given our similar spirits of openness and common interest in lunar missions? If you're interested, I could add requests for information from our team somewhere here, so you could contribute any knowledge you may have or are able to find on the subject, and then let us apply it to our mission? The kind of knowledge we're in need of should also have general applicability to Lunarpedia. --Anders Feder 02:35, 20 December 2008 (UTC)
- I've brought this to the attention of the other Lunarpedia bigwigs, so we'll let it stew among our Evil Overlords and let you know. Meanwhile, I've added you to my blogroll. - Jarogers2001 09:24, 20 December 2008 (UTC)
- Great, thanks :) --Anders Feder 23:42, 20 December 2008 (UTC)
- By the way, sorry about the delay. Christmas kills me. - Jarogers2001 10:31, 26 December 2008 (UTC)
- Had a chat with the admins and they also like the idea. We would like to receive some kind of courtesy attribution (links) for the open content we provide. Also, as an open reference we would like this to be non-exclusive so that other groups could request info under similar agreements. Articles can be requested HERE on the Team FREDNET discussion page (brand new, since I just made the article). Also, you can edit the FREDNET article to fill in info about the team if you like. We look forward to working with you! - Jarogers2001 22:50, 26 December 2008 (UTC)
- Great, thanks :) --Anders Feder 23:42, 20 December 2008 (UTC)
Gentlemen, what do you think about Anders' proposal? I like the idea! - Jarogers2001 10:29, 26 December 2008 (UTC)
- Apologies for my own delay in responding. I believe this is precisely the sort of the Lunarpedia and the Moon Society are for. How should we handle the page for information requests to be added? Perhaps simply with bulleted points and ~~~~ signatures? We also need a FREDNET article. -- Strangelv 15:58, 26 December 2008 (UTC)
- It might be prudent to do this as a subpage of either MAIN or FREDNET. - Jarogers2001 16:01, 26 December 2008 (UTC)
- Hello again everyone - sounds great. I'm at my parent's place at the moment, so I am a little restricted computer-wise. I'll add the first few requests to the Team FREDNET talk page as soon as I get back home. Also, if you can think of other ways we may be able to cooperate, please don't hesitate to suggest them. --Anders Feder 07:34, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
- I've added the first few requests for assistance to our talk page. Hope you can help us out. Cheers. --Anders Feder 14:30, 3 January 2009 (UTC)
Display problems with latest versions of Chrome and Firefox
Logo and images in the front page do not display correctly in Chrome 37.0.x
- I use Internet Explorer. I don't know the version number. The logo is not appearing for me, on any page. - Farred 18:31, 9 October 2014 (BST)
Fixed, for now! Dreamhost upgraded some stuff and didn't copy over the files. Mdelaney 20:57, 9 October 2014 (BST)