Talk:List of Component Vendors
Do all of these vendors sell components, or do some not belong here. Also, what vendors here belong on other, as yet uncreated lists, such as launch system vendors?
--Strangelv 11:44, 2 January 2007 (PST)
That depends on our definition of components versus systems or whatever.
Most of the vendors listed I would describe as systems vendors, rather than component vendors.
To my knowledge, all listed are aerospace component and sub-system vendors or provide these services on a contract basis except:
1. SpaceX. This company has not yet completed their planned "Dragon Capsule" which is planned to be launchable on their own Falcon 9 and ULA Delta 5 rockets. The Delta 5s are undergoing a study to determine the cost to man rate this rocket. SpaceX is also a launch system vendor.
2. Armadillo Aerospace. Not currently offering any components. This company was the only participant in the 2006 Xprize Cup's Lunar Lander Challenge. The lander launched successfully and reached the target but suffered the collapse of a leg upon landing. Lander was unable to complete the return trip.
3. Bigelow Aerospace. Currently producing prototype inflatable modules for use in space habitats and research stations. Modules are in testing and are not yet being manufactured for sale.
4. LiftPort group includes companies researching and producing carbon nano-tubes for research and experimentation. End goal of company is to develop technologies to enable the construction of "space elevators"
5. Masten Space Systems. Launch systems under development as of this date. quote - "XA-1.0 will take a 100kg payload to over 100km altitude on a sub-orbital trajectory several times in a single day. It is part of a line of spacecraft that will eventually achieve orbit and provide cislunar transportation services." On closer inspection, this company is a launch system provider and should be moved.
6. Rocketplane Kistler. K1 module still in development. Module is a stand alone launch system. Company should be moved.
Many of the companies listed are also system vendors.
Jarogers2001 22:00, 2 January 2007 (PST)